Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dippy Jones Across the Pond: Day 42 - Proper Kraft Dinner, the true meaning of life.

So Veronica, what awesome adventures have been keeping you away from the blog this time? What epic posts do you have for us now?

Sorry to disappoint, but I haven't done a thing. And it's been fantastic! I took a weekend off from my constant frantic travelling and it was beautiful.

I finished reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels (aka. Southern Vampire Mysteries, aka. TrueBlood source material) and they were fantastic! I've decided Sookie and Bill should not be together; she should be with Eric, a Were or no one! Also, Anna Paquin is too skinny to play Sookie, though she does a good job, she's meant to be a size 8/10 and that is not where I'd peg Ms Paquin's figure.

I started reading the Percy Jackson series. It's also pretty great so far, though having read the backs of all the novels, I'm concerned about where the story will end up... But for now, a great time. If you're following me on tumblr you probably noticed I put up a quote from the first book. The books are full of great humour like that.

Plus I imagine kids are learning a great deal more about Greek legend from it than they would through other channels.

I also played a bit of Sims 3, but that game needs another speed to go through actions with; like "skip to end".

I also wound up sick at the end of my weekend/beginning of the week. I don't know what happened, but Sunday night I got struck with a sudden, untameable headache accompanied by dizziness so severe I couldn't walk straight or sit up properly. I thought that maybe my dinner hadn't been big enough so I had a big snack, but even that didn't help. While the headache gradually subsided to a dull throb, the dizziness stayed with me through the better part of my Monday in a rather intolerable way.

What else?

Oh, the other day, I made a huge mistake. This was on Monday, as I was recovering from being sick, so it probably wasn't the best time. But I really wanted Kraft Dinner (shown on left), and I've heard (and seen in Scotland) that in the UK, they have a kinda-sorta equivalent: Kraft Cheesey Pasta (shown on right). So I thought I'd head out to the grocery store and see if I could pick some up.

When I got there however, they had nothing of the sort. I looked up and down aisles to no avail. Then I spotted this... abomination:


Of course at the time, I didn't know its status. I just thought "hey, this could be a viable substitute, you can't do mac & cheese wrong, can you?" Yes, yes you can. This coming from the girl who once made KD with vegetable oil because we had no milk, and "margarine's made of oil so it's probably close enough"; AND I LIKED THAT.

So that should give you an idea of how bad it was. Not to turn this into Steve, Don't Eat It, but really, the name "Macaroni Cheese" should have been my first tip. It's not even Macaroni AND Cheese, so you know something foul's afoot.

I had to empty it into my little sauce pan like a can of Chef Boyardee's Mini Ravioli and heat it up that way. That's how much watery sauce was in this thing. Then one taste, and blech! It's like they were burning some garbage next to the factory and just decided to throw it in there to give it "character".

Never again. I just cannot trust the canned foods here. I mean, this is the home of "Potted Meat" if memory serves, so it just cannot be trusted.

In other news, my umbrella broke. Not terribly surprising given the cheapness of the umbrella, and the abundance of wind. The pole actually came apart. I've made it so it's useable, but you can't extend the pole fully without it falling to pieces, so I'd have to hold it above my head, quite literally, as my hand would be level with my ear.

So I've started using the red panda umbrella from the Peer Adviser's office. It's much cuter anyways! ^.^


And it's got a whistle!

4 comments:

  1. What a coincidence about True Blood! The reason I say that is because the other day I couldn't get the theme song out of my head, and I wanted to play it but thought my Portuguese and Swiss colleagues would think I was crazy, but it turned Carina is an avid fan as they recently started airing it in Portugal. That's my story. Finito. haha, but on another note, I also relaxed last weekend and it was truly great to give my liver a rest. Slept in all day Sunday except to join a friend for Thai around the corner...ahhh so I wasn't as productive as you, reading a series, but sleep was caught up with! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, every time I've gone to the movies here they've played "Bad Things" by Jace Everet (sp?) in the time before the previews. I love it!

    ReplyDelete