Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dippy Jones Across the Pond: Day 35 - Ce-le-brate Good Times, C'mon!

Today was a rather boring day.

I say was.

Part way through the afternoon, Ron and I had a visit from Darrell, one of the peer advisors from this previous year. He was dressed all spiffy-like in a suit and was practically buzzing with nervous excitement. He had an interview, in less than an hour, for the very prestigious "Student of the Year" award. He hung around until a little before his appointment and shared with us the possible answers he had prepared.

It seemed like no sooner had he run off for the interview that he was back again, all done. He set his phone down where it got signal just in case they called. He started talking about how he didn't get it because of this or that; didn't do enough charity work, it was a really close race, etc etc. As he was just winding down; the phone rang.

He got it! Ron let out a cheer while Darrell was still on the phone, only to get shushed quickly by Darrell.

*click*

And celebrations all around! If Darrell had done a fan-girl squee, it wouldn't have surprised me, to be honest, he looked so over the moon.

It was close enough to 5, and I didn't have any more work I could really do; my computer was making one last ditch effort to restore the files from my TARDIS itself before I went to any third-parties. So off we went, for my first pint at the KPA (Keele Post-grad Association; Ron and I are allowed because we're staff at the uni, and well, Ron works there). I met a few people and we sat and chatted while we drank a celebratory pint.

Darrell had orchestra later though so we didn't stay long; Ron was going with him. So I went back to the office and wound up staying until nearly 8 trying to solve my hard drive conundrum.

In our time at the KPA, I may have found myself dragged into singing in Darrell's concert in a week or so. But I don't know... my voice isn't really very good, and it just isn't used to choral singing anymore; solos and karaoke maybe, but choir needs more finesse than my voice feels like it has retained. It could be fun though...

No comments:

Post a Comment