Monday, May 31, 2010

Dippy Jones Across the Pond: Day 33/34 - May the road rise up to meet you

Today my check out was at 10, and the American girls, after an epic night on the town, were headed to the Aran Islands for the day. Unfortunately, they weren't planning on being back until after 5, at which point I had a train to catch to get home (for a rest, as it were). So it was another day by myself.

I rather like travelling by myself. I can wander as far and wide and fast as I want without having to deal with people wearing inappropriate footwear, or incapable of walking so far; unwilling to explore or slow as molasses. But eating alone is a little awkward; and I have no one else to share the embarrassment of navigating the unsure waters of ordering protocol and payment at each individual establishment. And though it feels weird toting my camera, snapping pictures and not having a friend to ease the awkwardness of that very touristy feeling, I suppose being alone makes you more approachable.


For instance, as I was snapping pictures of the Spanish Arch from across the river, a man approached me with his son and insisted on taking my photo for me; he took more like 4, each from a different angle, capturing a different part of our surroundings. All the while chatting at me about this, that and the other thing. He was quite friendly, and I think he was a local, or close to it; judging by the way he talked about the area.

Apparently next weekend, which is when they have their bank holiday, there will be an off-shore power-boat race starting from Galway, going all the way around Ireland I think. That'd be quite the thing to see I imagine. But band over powerboats really :P

I walked the streets of Galway, checking out the original makers of the Claddagh ring; the only ones allowed to stamp "ORIGINAL" on the inside of the band. It originated here in Galway, from the settlement of fishermen who lived on the other bank of the River Corrib and used it as an engagement/wedding ring. If you wear it heart pointing out, you are free for the taking. Crown pointed out and you are devoted to someone already. I've always liked the ring and what it meant: Hands for friendship, heart for love, crown for loyalty. I've always felt that it represented the kind of love that led to the perfect marriage: A best friend you loved, with absolute faithfulness. I used to have a pair of earrings with the symbol; I imagine they're at home somewhere...

I visited the statue of Oscar Wilde a few times. I like him... I really enjoyed playing Gwendolyn Fairfax, who wanted a man with a name which produced vibrations. I wish I could do that again... without getting my glasses stuck on the veil this time.

I've thought about that play a few times since I've been over here; more specifically that performance. We'd all put on British accents without noticing, until the Principal pointed it out. Thinking of that while I'm here makes me giggle. Especially when I make fun of Oliver's mock-Californian accent by reverting to the voice I used for Gwendolyn Fairfax... Oh memories.

I had a few good meals; an epic breakfast and a tasty red pesto pasta lunch. And wandered around quite extensively again. I bought myself some Guinness truffles (which were ok) and a Bailey's truffle bar (which was pretty much the most divine thing ever!).

I guess this time of year is just before the real tourist season started because it seemed like there were a lot of out with the old, in with the new sales going on. I picked up a tinwhistle and tune book for dirt cheap, so I'm going to try and learn a few tunes on that, and I got myself a shamrock blanket in preparation for the Ferry ride that night. Warm as my new sweater is, I was still anticipating a bit too much cold than I'd enjoy, and the price was right.

On my walk around Galway that morning, I'd found a pier, and on that pier was a sign, advertising the Corrib Princess which left daily at 2:30 and 4:30 to give tours around Lough Corrib; Ireland's 2nd largest lake, only overshadowed by one in Northern Ireland, so I got the impression that this was the largest lake that really counted. I was far too early to sit there and wait, but I didn't know how much it cost or how long the trip was; and saw no indication, so I figured I'd come back later and find out.

Before lunch, I saw the Cathedral; I was disappointed by the lack of Salmon at Salmon Weir, there was supposed to be a salmon run happening at that time, but I saw no indications of it; I found a whole park, filled with what appeared to be raspberry cane, if only I'd found it a month and a half later, I'm sure I'd have left with a very red mouth... I watched the local rowing teams practice too, it seems a very popular sport in that city. I also admired the wildlife. Especially when one of the thousands of swans in Galway started picking a fight with some poor diving bird which had strayed into its reach.










It seemed like all the birds had babies. The swans had their babies, the coots had theirs, the ducks too... I suppose that's spring time for you. Season of cuteness!






I wandered through town, grabbing my delicious pasta lunch at Kelly's; the venue ETH had been at the night before, and saw some great street art and vintage signs. Guinness is of course a big deal there, so there were some pretty fantastic signs...

Funny too. I'd never seen the Guinness for strength before! I imagine carrying that much steel with a bellyful of Guinness would be what we call A Very Bad Idea...

I headed back to the pier where some boys (boys will be boys, eh?) were swimming out to, what the boat tour later revealed to be, the old supports for the railway bridge. From there, somehow, they'd climb up on top and jump into the water below. I think Heather would have been right in there with them. Though I can't for the life of me figure out how they were climbing up to the top...

It turned out the boat tour was a reasonable price, and wasn't so long that I'd wind up missing my train, so I went on it. It was a little slow, and boring, compared to the one I took in London, but it was rather nice. And boy is that lake pretty~!

You can see the mountains of three separate counties from that river/lake, and so many ruins along it. And such interesting wildlife as well.

From the sounds of things they have really fantastic fishing there too... Salmon, trout, eel, pike; all sorts of great fish.

My camera battery died almost right after taking this picture though. It was rather disappointing, I hadn't taken all the pictures I'd wanted on the way up the river, assuming I could take them on the way back down. But it didn't matter much, something about turning the boat around made the wind that much more bitter and intense, so I caved and headed downstairs. I grabbed an Irish coffee from the bar, since it seemed appropriate and I enjoyed it quietly while enjoying the scenery.

When we arrived at the pier again, I made my way over to Eyre square and explored a little before double checking my train/ferry times and hopping on the train to Dublin. Unfortunately, when we arrived in Dublin I found out the handy dandy bus service that had taken me from Ferry port to train station the previous day only ran Monday to Friday (though I'd taken it on a Saturday, which had me a little confused, but my days were confused enough due to lack of sleep). That meant, the only way I could make it to my ferry was to take a cab. It was almost a small enough charge that I could cover it with what cash I still had, but it was a few euros over by the time we made it through the maze that was the port, so I had to grab more cash from the machine, which made me really unhappy; 5$ withdrawal charge because I didn't have the extra 2euros to cover my cab fare? GROSS!

But I got on the ferry ok. Settled into a seat, had an overpriced, and thoroughly oversized meal of Irish meatballs and more potatoes than I think I've ever seen try to fit on one plate. Then I took out my blanket, covered up my makeshift bed and went to sleep.

I must have slept really soundly because I didn't wake up until a passerby shook my exposed foot. Looking around I realized we were at Holyhead already! I had an over 4 hour wait until my train, but luckily, being back in the UK, my cellphone had access to skype again and I spent the time talking with my parents and then later with Jon, filling everyone in on my adventures. After 2 trains and a bus (and 3 episodes of Mad Men, season 3) I was finally back home around 10am Monday morning. Luckily it was a bank holiday, so I just went home, and went to bed. I basically slept all day, got up and did a couple things in the afternoon/evening, then went back to bed to sleep the night away.

What a fantastic, but exhausting, weekend!

Maybe one day this week, I'll recover from it! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment