Monday, May 10, 2010

Dippy Jones Across the Pond: Day 12 - Rwy'n caru Cymru

I'm back, and all in one piece, sort of.


My knee is in shambles, but it's not too too bad... I mean, it's worse than I think it's been in years, but the walking stick my parents gave me doubles pretty decently as a cane. If I un-extend it, it's just the right height, so it makes it much easier to hobble around unhindered.


I keep hearing the phrase "funny like a crutch" in the back of my head though, I think my dad's too fond of it :P


Anyways, today was awesome. Let it be known that I love museums! Breakfast was free in our hostel, and was delicious. But I must say, I was quite disturbed, but I can't place what disturbed me most...


That these are heart-shaped, that they exist at all, or that enough people use them for the hostel to feel it's reasonable to keep a stock of them. *shudder*...


Checking out of our hostel was ridiculously easy. Then we walked down to find the National Museum of Wales. I had heard they had a whole room of Celtic Crosses (and free admission... >.>) that I was eager to see. While we did see a bunch of partial Celtic Crosses, I don't think that room exists, but what we did find was fantastic.


Ok, so basically, if they see that you have a camera when you go into the National Museum of Wales, they deal with it in what I think is quite possibly the best way I have ever seen a single museum handle it. They take you aside, explain the photography rules and have you sign a waiver saying that you're only photographing for your own personal use, not to sell it professionally or anything. Then they put a little sticker on you somewhere visible so that security knows that you know the rules, and they send you on your way. They also have free lockers, so I'm loving this place! Anyways, so we go into the museum and look at the "Evolution of Wales" exhibit. It was so epic! They take you all the way back.... TO THE BIG BANG! Then they show you how the Earth formed and where Wales was at that time (waaaaaay south of the equator) then they trace it's route through plate tectonics all the way to where it is today. All the while they're showing you the changing geology, flora and fauna of Wales and how it is becoming what we see today. You basically get to see every single fossil ever found in Wales, and some from elsewhere. It was excellent. 


When you get out of that exhibit, there's another room across the hall, that I went to explore purely because the fact they had a lone glass of water, protected by a dome, on a pedestal, in the middle of the room. Got my curiosity piqued. It was an exhibit about the diversity of life. Lots of taxidermy on one side, and the largest, most condensed collection of crystals I've ever seen on the other.


Then we went to the "Origin of Wales" exhibit, where they trace all the human and cultural development the place has underwent since humans first showed up (which was partway through the last exhibit) and became the biggest force for change. It showed the Celts, Romans, Normans; and my favourite part... There was a little computer, with headphones, and it played you a recording of every old language that used to be spoken in and around Wales. Anglo-Norman, Old Irish, Old English; it was very cool.


We then went up to actually look at some Welsh art, and I discovered what is now my favourite piece of Welsh painting (I bought a postcard of it and everything :P) .


The Bard, by Thomas Jones


It's the last Bard, fleeing from the English invaders. He is laying a curse on them before leaping to his death.... and I think it's beautiful! Just.... wow. [/art nerd]


From there we went and had lunch at Owain Glyndwr, and you know what? I really just wish I could *pronounce* Welsh. Speaking it would be awesome, as I feel speaking any language would be, but I'd quite honestly just be happy to be capable of some decent pronunciation! But I digress. I had yorkshire pudding wrapped around roast beef. Delicious! I think it must be a Welsh thing because I haven't seen it anywhere but in Cardiff so far. But I guess we'll see!


Then it was time to come home. *tears!* I really have to go back with Jon for the Doctor Who-iness, and with my family so we can go to the Brecon Beacons or something and see the cathedral where my Great-great-grandparents were married.


I slept decently on the train, and we decided we should take a cab from Stoke railway station rather than a bus, otherwise we'd be late for dinner at Erica's. Our cabbie was INSANE! He almost crashed into someone (then called *her* a crazy bitch!), sped like the devil, and didn't even manage to drop us off at the right place he was going so fast. I'm just glad we made it out alive, and that the improvements they're doing on the Gallowstree Roundabout slowed him down a bit.


After a short repose and a change of clothes, Nina and I went over to Erica's for dinner. I didn't know that she lived on campus... It was spectacular! They made vegetarian chili and guacamole. And you know what? I really don't think I can eat guacamole, I tried it again there, and it feels so weird in my mouth. I'm the one that gave my mother an avocado allergy, so I think I've just got one myself as well... but yes, delicious! And Erica had made a spectacular blueberry cake for dessert.... mmmmmmm.... delish! I found it quite funny that Ron's way of showing how much he loved the food was to have like, three servings of everything... Made me feel like an ungrateful slacker for only having one plate :P


Nina and I had stopped by the store on our way to pick up some wine as a gift, and it made me realize... I really should have brought some like, Point Pelee wine or something. It would have made excellent gifts! Oh well, the more you know....


Anyways, I have work in the morning and it's already rather late. Ciao


*also, the title of this post, if you're too lazy to run it through Google translate, means "I love Wales"

No comments:

Post a Comment